Expertise offered by Stam S.r.l.
by Umberto Battista | Jan 14, 2019
Name of the Organisation: Stam S.r.l.
Organisation Short Name: STAM
Organisation Type: PRC
ACTIVITYTopic(s) of interest from 2018-2019 Transport Work Programme:
- LC-MG-1-5-2019: Advancements in aerodynamics and innovative propulsion systems for quieter and greener aircrafts
- LC-MG-1-6-2019: Aviation operations impact on climate change
- LC-MG-1-7-2019: Future propulsion and integration: towards a hybrid/electric aircraft
- LC-MG-1-8-2019: Retrofit Solutions and Next Generation Propulsion for Waterborne Transport
- LC-MG-1-9-2019: Upgrading transport infrastructure in order to monitor noise and emissions
- LC-MG-1-10-2019: Logistics solutions that deal with requirements of the ‘on demand economy’ and for shared-connected and low-emission logistics operations
- LC-MG-1-11-2019: Structuring R&I towards zero emission waterborne transport
- MG-2-6-2019: Moving freight by Water: Sustainable Infrastructure and Innovative Vessels
- MG-2-7-2019: Safety in an evolving road mobility environment
- MG-2-8-2019: Innovative applications of drones for ensuring safety in transport
- MG-2-9-2019: Integrated multimodal, low-emission freight transport systems and logistics (Inco Flagship)
- MG-4-4-2018-2019: Support for dissemination events in the field of Transport Research
- MG-4-5-2019: An inclusive digitally interconnected transport system meeting citizens' needs
- MG-4-6-2019: Supporting Joint Actions on sustainable urban accessibility and connectivity
- MG-BG-02-2019: Ship emission control scenarios, marine environmental impact and mitigation
- DT-ART-03-2019: Human centred design for the new driver role in highly automated vehicles
- DT-ART-04-2019: Developing and testing shared, connected and cooperative automated vehicle fleets in urban areas for the mobility of all
- DT-ART-05-2020 - Efficient and safe connected and automated heavy-duty vehicles in real logistics operations
- DT-ART-06-2020: Large-scale, cross-border demonstration of connected and highly automated driving functions for passenger cars
- LC-GV-03-2019: User centric charging infrastructure
- LC-GV-04-2019: Low-emissions propulsion for long-distance trucks and coaches
- LC-GV-05-2019: InCo flagship on “Urban mobility and sustainable electrification in large urban areas in developing and emerging economies”
- LC-GV-06-2020 - Advanced light materials and their production processes for automotive applications
- LC-GV-07-2020 - Reducing the environmental impact of hybrid light duty vehicles
- LC-GV-08-2020 - Next generation electrified vehicles for urban use
Fields of Activity: Stam is a private engineering SME, founded in Genoa, Italy, in 1997. The company offers engineering services and products at an international level. The skills and competencies of the company staff have grown considerably over the years, to include different areas of specialized engineering, keeping a high tech profile, such as: space and defence, automation and robotics, security and transport, energy and the environment. In particular, the company owns the following technologies and skills in different areas: - Space and defence - Design of advanced mechanisms, including motion transmission and hermetic sealing systems - Technology transfer from space to Earth applications - Innovative technologies for the active removal of space debris - Design of mechanical ground support equipment - Advanced systems for multispectral image analysis - Innovative systems for drones capturing - Automation and robotics - Numerical modelling and simulations - Design of advanced mechatronic systems - Innovative robotised solutions for the handling and recycling of construction demolition waste - Development of data-driven and physical models based control systems - Design of advanced biomedical solutions for rehabilitation - LCA / LCC of new products and processes - Security and transport - Analysis and simulation of the effects and consequences of explosions on vehicles and structures - Innovative tools for risk assessment and cost-benefit analysis of countermeasures against threats to critical infrastructures - Modelling and simulation of crowd flows and behaviour within infrastructures - Advanced tools for strategic decision-support for cost-effective planning of security measures - Energy and the environment - Innovative systems for the production of insulating panels for building retrofitting - Innovative algorithms for indoor air quality and HVAC systems control - Geo-localized database of energy efficient solutions - Collaborative platforms for building retrofitting - Advanced decision-support tools for the design of smart-grid and building retrofitting - Innovative systems for wastewater treatment and the production of products with microalgae The excellent scientific and technological skills, associated with the careful use of incentives for research and development, have been successful tools for the company over the years. To date, Stam has successfully completed over 200 projects for public and private organizations, gaining strong credibility in R&D, successfully participating in over 50 EU projects since FP4 up to H2020. In fact, Stam invests a significant part of its turnover in research and development, thus providing its customers, public and private bodies, with the most qualified and advanced skills. The Stam team is also composed of experienced professionals and specialists in different technological fields. The unique combination of the multidisciplinary team adds value by introducing different approaches and perspectives, guaranteeing professionalism and skills in the most advanced technologies. Finally, Stam counts on a vast international network of technological contacts throughout Europe, through research and development centres, specialized technology companies and SMEs. The company has in fact established important collaborations with over 400 European companies active in the field of research and innovation in various technological fields. Stam is also a member of several clusters, associations and platforms that bring together the main actors of innovation in their respective sectors, in particular: - ECTP-E2B European Platform, dedicated to innovative technologies for energy efficiency of buildings. - SIIT “Ligurian Technology District on Integrated Intelligent Systems”, which promotes research, internationalization, advanced training and technology transfer. - TRANSIT Research and Innovation Network, which deals with logistics and transport, safety in transport, environmental sustainability of mobility. - SOSIA Research and Innovation Network, which deals with environmental risk management and land control, cybersecurity, intelligent factory and automation. - START 4.0 “Competence centre on security and optimization of strategic infrastructures”, focused on the application of the 4.0 enabling technologies in the field of port security, transport, energy and water infrastructure and production system - CBRN-P3 Italian technological, industrial and institutional cluster for the preparation, prevention and protection of citizens and environment from CBRN threats.
Skills and Experise Offered: SOLUTIONS FOR RAILWAYS
Stam has been working on the development of solutions for railways, to make stations more secure and accessible, to increase the capacity and customer satisfaction. In particular, we have developed novel concepts for the platform-train interface (PTI), with a special focus on the independent boarding of persons with reduced mobility (PRMs), who usually lead to additional design requirements for accessibility to stations, platforms and trains.
Stam has employed agent-based simulations for critical infrastructures design and crowd management: in particular, we have employed it for evacuation simulation and management; risk assessment and countermeasures implementation against terrorist threats; infrastructures design to make them safer, more secure and accessible to users. In addition, we have developed unique expertise in the behaviour modelling of persons with reduced mobility (PRMs).
PROTECTION OF CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURES
STAM is capable of designing and developing customized and specific decision support making tools to provide critical infrastructure managers and operators with the possibility of dynamically assess the risk of their system and observe the effectiveness of the involved countermeasures, on the real-time risk level of their system.
Stam has matured a strong experience in the analysis of the effects and consequences of a blast, developed by modelling and simulating blast terrorist attacks on public transport vehicles and infrastructures. We developed, assessed and validated a simulation methodology able to perform reliable virtual blast tests on a design, evaluating its structural behaviour, thus largely reducing the number of real blast tests, which are extremely expensive.
Stam has developed a set of hybrid model-based and data-driven ICT risk management tools, able to model and assess the risks which rail systems are subjected to from cyber-attacks and to evaluate the cost-effectiveness deriving from the selection and implementation of a set of countermeasures.
POWER TRANSMISSION SYSTEMS
Since its establishment in 1997, the company has been specializing in the design and manufacturing of innovative mechanical systems. In particular, Stam has patented NUGEAR, an advanced compact nutating gearbox for high-reduction ratio applications. Stam has also a lab test bench to measure the performances of transmission systems.
Keywords: railways, accessibility, security, gearbox, power transmission systems, Nugear, blast analysis, modelling, simulations, crowd flow, PTI, PRMs, critical infrastructures, vehicles, risk assessment, cost-benefit analysis, threats, lab tests
Previous FP Projects Participated: EU projects:
• FP5 TRAINSAFE, GA n. 05056: “Railway interoperable manufacture and modular safety” (2002-2004).
• FP7 SECUREMETRO, GA n. 234148: “Inherently secure blast resistant and fire safe metro vehicles” (2010-2013) (www.securemetro.inrets.fr);
• CIPS DAISY “Impact Analysis and Cost Benefit Analysis of Countermeasures on Airport infrastructure” (2014-2016) (www.daisy-project.eu);
• CIPS RAMPART “Development of a Risk AssessMent toolbox for the Prevention and reduction of terrorist Attacks on metRo and light-rail criTical infrastructures” (2014-2016) (www.rampart-project.eu);
• H2020 FAIR Stations, GA n. 777636 “Future Secure and Accessible Rail Stations” (2017-ongoing) (www.fairstations.eu).
• ESA TTP Nugear “Application of a space born innovative gearbox system to the automotive sector” (1999).
• ESA TTP Nubike “Application of an innovative gearbox system from space to electric bicycles” (1999).
• Eureka Eurostars E! 5128 NC-GEAR Development of innovative transmission systems for high-speed motion generation based on non-circular gears” (www.eurostars-eureka.eu/project/id/5128);
Contact Person: Umberto Battista
Position in the Organisation: Area Manager