by Elif Cakmak | Jan 29, 2019
Name of the Organisation: ARDIC Teknoloji
Organisation Short Name: ARDIC
Organisation Type: PRC
ACTIVITYTopic(s) of interest from 2018-2019 Transport Work Programme:
- MG-2-7-2019: Safety in an evolving road mobility environment
- MG-4-5-2019: An inclusive digitally interconnected transport system meeting citizens' needs
- MG-4-6-2019: Supporting Joint Actions on sustainable urban accessibility and connectivity
Fields of Activity: ARDIC is a 10-year-old company with 35 highly skilled staff working in two offices both in Istanbul, Turkey. The main office where the main operations and software development is carried out, is in the technological free zone of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK). In the company's early stages, ARDIC was focused on delivering a Mobile Device Management (MDM) solution, and for that purpose, an advanced, multi-tenant, enterprise grade cloud platform to manage mobile devices was developed. The feedback received during the pilots and actual operations, enabled ARDIC to develop an advanced IoT platform that is purposed to serve all involved users. During the same period, ARDIC also had a licensed collaboration with INTEL where the Android Extensions Framework (AFEX) was developed. - Following this, ARDIC focused on Android as an industrial IoT gateway on headless devices. Proof of concept projects were completed on ARM and INTEL platforms. - Several end-to-end projects covering sensors and actuators physically bound to IoT nodes like Arduino, ESP8266 etc. were made. IoT gateway proxying between nodes and IoT cloud storage and data processing was achieved. These stages of development have been brought together in a disruptive and state-of-the-art product offering a paradigm change in IoT service development and deployment. Company has fulfilled its vision of eight years and became an IoT platform technology company leveraging the effectiveness and quality of services by helping businesses to concentrate on their own core competencies. ARDIC now offers an IoT platform bringing simplicity, vendor-independence, cost reduction and rapid monetization. This technology will ignite the power of IoT and help the realization of its expected impact on economies. In the beginning of 2016, ARDIC received a post-seed investment that helped ARDIC to solely focus on the development of IoT-Ignite platform. The company is highly recognized by important players in the IoT domain. TURKCELL-the largest telecom operator in Turkey and 5th in Europe- is currently working on a PoC with ARDIC where the groundwork is being laid for turning IoT-Ignite into a truly “complete” open IoT platform that could also serve the giant’s many different partners and customers.
Skills and Experise Offered: Working on end-to-end solution platforms lead ARDIC’s expertise on a variety of fields. The founders and technical team of ARDIC have extensive international experience and knowledge in software services, telecommunication networks, ICT, cloud computing, Android OS and mobile services. There are five areas where ARDIC has the power to completely develop a system and the following list shows the details about ARDIC’s skills and expertise:
1) Cloud: A scalable, multi-tenant, secure cloud requires wide range technologies such as virtualization, load balancing, enterprise messaging architectures, big data, relational databases, etc. ARDIC mainly develops its solutions on top of open source software. Citrix Zen is our virtualization environment. On top of it, Linux distros are used as server operating systems. Both hardware and software firewalls are used. For big data, Cassandra, MongoDB and Hadoop are used. PostGreSQL and MySQL are our RDBM systems. Cloud services are mostly developed in Java, therefore Java application servers are in use. Web services, APIs, and SDKs needed for cloud integration are also written in Java. REST, web socket, pub-sub architectures are used for messaging with internal systems. Cloud storage file system is based on OpenStack Swift. Development on Cloud focuses at client services, data processing, data evaluation and complex event processing.
3) Mobile Applications: ARDIC has a long history on developing mobile applications especially on Android. Most applications are written in Java, whereas others use mobile application development platforms like Ionic and Cordova. Main applications are IoT-Ignite Agent working in sync with IoT-Ignite cloud and Modiverse, an MDM agent. ARDIC also has an IoT-Ignite SDK for third party applications. By means of this SDK, these applications can 'talk' with IoT-Ignite cloud via our agent.
4) Android Operating System: Since 2012, ARDIC is building its own Android version, PilarOS. Therefore, we have a deep knowledge for Android OS. Mainly Java is used to harden or extend Android operating system but we have developed some parts in C/C++.
5) Microcontrollers: To demonstrate how IoT works from sensor to cloud, we have developed software, using C/C++ on Arduino IDE. These applications run on MCUs such as NodeMCU, ESP8266 or Intel Edison/Galileo and communicate with applications in IoT-Ignite gateways.
Keywords: IoT, IIoT, Industry 4.0, MDM, Mobile OS, Android,
Previous FP Projects Participated: ITEA2 - DemWatch - Dementia Watch System
ITEA3 - Ewatch - Extensive Personal Monitoring & Watch Platform
Contact Person: Haluk Tufekci
Position in the Organisation: CTO