Research and innovation expert for electrical power systems and power conversion
by Paul VINSON | Apr 11, 2019
Name of the Organisation: SuperGrid Institute
Organisation Short Name: SuperGrid
Organisation Type: PRC
ACTIVITYTopic(s) of interest from 2018-2019 Transport Work Programme:
- LC-MG-1-7-2019: Future propulsion and integration: towards a hybrid/electric aircraft
- S2R-OC-IP3-01-2019: Future traction power supply for railways and public transport
Fields of Activity: SuperGrid Institute is a private research and innovation centre. We are specialized in medium and high voltage electrical power systems with electricity distribution and power conversion as application domains.
Skills and Experise Offered: We are expert of electrical power systems from topologies, control and protection perspectives. We propose concepts and technologies to overcome technical limitations and we also are taking benefit of cutting edge testing benches and platforms to support our activities.
For power conversion, we have experience in the power electronics development based on SiC power semiconductors and medium frequency transformers. We are equipped with power converter test benches allowing to test the high power, high voltage power converters. Our Power electronics and converters department (https://www.supergrid-institute.com/en/research-and-development/power-electronics-and-converters/) is 30 people including engineers, researchers and PhD students. SuperGrid Institute has realised 3 relevant projects:
• internal demonstrator of a 1,2kVdc - 0,6kVdc 100kW DC-DC converter using 1,7kV SiC power modules and ferrite medium frequency transformer
• internal demonstrator of a 4kVdc - 8kVdc 800kW DC-DC converter using 3,3kV IGBT and SiC power modules and a nanocrystalline medium frequency transformer
• internal development of a small scale mock-up of a railway AC-DC single-phase SST allowing to validate the SST topology and controls
and our relevant test facilities are:
• Power converter test platform allowing to test the complete SST (https://www.supergrid-institute.com/en/our-technologies-services-supergrid-institute/our-test-platforms/power-converter-platform/)
• Medium frequency transformer and technologies allowing to test the transformer (https://www.supergrid-institute.com/en/our-technologies-services-supergrid-institute/our-test-platforms/medium-frequency-transformer-and-technologies/)
• Power switches characterization platform allowing to characterise the semiconductor power switches necessary in the power electronics design (https://www.supergrid-institute.com/en/our-technologies-services-supergrid-institute/our-test-platforms/power-switches-characterization-platform/)
• Simulation platforms (HIL, PHIL) for digital twins implementation and test & validation purposes
We believe that the above presented expertise & experience can provide a high added value in a project consortium for the related call.
Keywords: Power conversion, Power Electronic, Converter, grid, Simulation, Testing, Grid control, Grid protection, Grid Stability
Previous FP Projects Participated: PROMOTioN, FASTGRID, XFLEX
Contact Person: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position in the Organisation: Collaboration projects Manager